View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
There are legitimate functions of government. The question is, since the people created the government, which rights do the people have that they can delegate to the government? I have the right to defend myself and put out fires, so I can delegate that power to government. But I don't have the right to take 100 bucks from my rich neighbor and give it to my poor neighbor, so I can't delegate that right to the government.

Obviously, there are gray areas, but I maintain that the wealth redistribution of welfare state programs is basically state sponsored theft. But yes, it's hard to overcome Mike's emotional pleas re: poor sick kids dying, so I suppose some sort of safety net will never go away. That doesn't mean we need to expand it, and I think that net should be at the bare minimum and many programs done away with (programs that don't lift, but perpetually keep generations in poverty and destroy the work ethic of those "benefitting") or provided at the state level where there is more accountability to the people. All I hear from democrats (and many republicans) is an expansion of the welfare state into a more European cradle to grave system. I am very much opposed to that.

My $.02.
I'm pretty sure some here would say that Jesus teaches that sick kid should die and receive no support.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote