View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #26
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Why do you care? I find myself oscillating between interested, puzzled, and frustrated regarding these discussions on CG. Why the need to reconcile everything with science? There is no question that God operates per the laws of nature, but I certaily don't feel the need to understand everything. In fact, if we DID understand it all, where would faith come in?

What is wrong with "I don't get it but I don't need to because I have a testimony."
I must admit I am a little bit uncomfortable with this trend on cougarguard as well. But, maybe, for different reasons. It seems like lately (I don't mean to single out soonercoug; I don't think this is caused by anyone one in particular) is to turn everything into some litmus test between liberal and conservatives (theologically speaking). All that does is lead to the same discussion that we have had on the guard many times over. The "conservatives" stand-up for what the believe are core parts of the gospel and the "liberals" paint the conservatives as anti-intellectual. It then devolves in pointless name calling or into a discussion about changing the oil of your car.

I think that a discussion of Adam and Eve would be good and appropriate. Coming to grips with what evolution, the fossil record, and other empirical evidence says in relation to how one should understand Adam and Eve is an important exercise. Also, I think a discussion of the theological implications of Joseph Smith moving the founding stories of creation and covenant to the American continent really interesting. I think a discussion of what that tells us about Joseph Smith's theological impulses and Mormonism would be interesting in well. I think there is lots of room for interesting discussion, but all we are doing now is dividing people into silly theological camps.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-01-2007 at 03:57 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote