View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
How do you arrive at the conclusion that the consequences you discuss are "inevitable?" While remarks against gays may be "hateful" they will not, in the context of a church meeting, ever arise to the level of "hate speech" unless those members immediately leave church, inspired by the speech, and attack homosexuals. Do you find that to be at all likely? That is the standard for hate speech. If not, then I don't think your concerns are all that inevitable.
I have been wondering for some time now what the definition of "hate speech" is and have suspected that if I ever learned the definition I would find it to be so broad that almost anything could be put in that category. Not surprisingly, I think that your defenition is along those lines.

Maybe I don't fully understand you though. In order to be hate speeach, does the speaker have to intend that the listener commit violence as a result? If yes, what level of intent are we talking about, actual intent, scienter, etc.? Or is any speech that inspires violence hate speech if the person is, in fact inspired?

Also, what does "inspire" mean in this context? Is it any intellectual shove at all regardless of whether or at what level the listen is predisposed to some act? Must particular action be suggested?