View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #28
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

You missed the point completely. You are complaining incessantly about discrimination you have faced as a straight, white male without stopping to think that gay individuals of any race or sex probably feel as strongly about discrimination as you do. Nobody likes being discriminated against- extend that feeling to the homosexual community.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the consequences you discuss are "inevitable?" While remarks against gays may be "hateful" they will not, in the context of a church meeting, ever arise to the level of "hate speech" unless those members immediately leave church, inspired by the speech, and attack homosexuals. Do you find that to be at all likely? That is the standard for hate speech. If not, then I don't think your concerns are all that inevitable.
Two posts is complaining incessantly :lol: :?: :!: I have first-hand knowledge of the point of view of many homosexuals who regularly face horrific discrimination. My point is to give voice to the flip side of this issue … too often we only hear about discrimination against homosexuals. I have empathy for the homosexual community, but I do not sympathize with their cause.

Let me explain further my perspective on ‘inevitable’. In recent years the Church very nearly abandoned Scouting in Canada due to unforeseen but ‘inevitable’ consequences of guarantying homosexuals the same rights secured to protect against gender and race discrimination in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The Charter of Rights in Canada has been changed to reflect such guaranties. In the wake of these changes a homosexual activist in Toronto challenged scouts Canada’s policy of prohibiting homosexuals from being scout leaders or even of forming teen homosexual scout troops. This activist threatened a lawsuit and in fact identified the wording in Scouts Canada policies as not only discriminatory but potentially ‘hate speech’.

As a result Scouts Canada changed its policies and wordings. Their lawyers very brightly conceded and informed the activist that he could be a scout leader and even form a homosexual troop, with the youths parents permission. The dumfounded activist didn’t really want to be a scout leader; he never formed a troop and dropped the issue.

Regardless, the church was forced to reevaluate its relationship with scouts Canada. Ultimately scouts Canada, not wanting to miss out on the principle funding that keeps them afloat, has guaranteed the church the right to prohibit girls from joining scout troops and to assign (call) it’s own scout leaders.

Was this event foreseeable –not readily. Was it inevitable –Yes!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote