View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #26
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I don't want to burst your bubble, but your fear is the very definition of "too far a reach." You believe statements about homosexuality from the pulpit could be characterized as hate speech. Hate speech is a very precise legal term with very strict conditions. I doubt there is a single serious legal scholar, judge, or lawyer in America who would be afraid that our free speech and religious freedoms would be so abridged that speaking out on homosexuality would be impermissible under the laws of this country.

-----------------------

Oh, the tremendous discrimination us straight, white men have faced in our lives!!!

How do you think gays feel? Perhaps that the hate directed at them is "REAL and unnerving?"

Isn't the answer exactly what SoCal said above? Treat the people with the respect they deserve. You don't have to accept homosexuality as being legitimate, but we should be kinder and more loving towards those who are homosexual.
Please do not condescend to suggest that I do not have a right to feel threatened or discriminated against simply because I am a white male … the arrogance of your statement suggests an abject ignorance in regards to this subject, and a lack of real exposure to all types of peoples and cultures … white males are not the center of the universe, in fact they do not represent the majority in terms of numbers or even power in the modern world in whole.

I currently live, work, study and raise my children in part of the world where I am in the minority, both racially and ideologically, and in certain respects, opportunity.

The characterization as hate speech has already begun to occur … if Homosexual rights are afforded the same constitutional protections as racial and gender rights, then verbal or written condemnation of homosexual behavior may be construed as hate … the so called enlightened advocates and judges you site will have no trouble reaching such a conclusion.

Pointing out inevitable consequence is not fear mongering … refrain for disparaging my remarks, or qualifying them as fear, and contend with my valid ideas.

When did I ever state that a homosexual person should not be treated with respect? In fact I ahve stated many times on this board and elswereh that they should be viewed as an individual of worht and value to all facets of society and culture, and not merely a homosexual.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote