View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
people condemn legal things all the time.

shirley you can't be serious that civil unions imperil free speech.
Firstly, I would like to establish the idea that there is NO such thing as true freedom of speech in either the US or Canada.

It is not too far a reach to suggest that at some point the freedom I currently have to condemn homosexuality from the pulpit will be labeled hate, as such it will become prosecutable. Ergo, my right to free speech will be severely prohibited, or in your terms imperiled.

The above stated possibility will be an inevitable consequence of protecting Homosexual rights.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but your fear is the very definition of "too far a reach." You believe statements about homosexuality from the pulpit could be characterized as hate speech. Hate speech is a very precise legal term with very strict conditions. I doubt there is a single serious legal scholar, judge, or lawyer in America who would be afraid that our free speech and religious freedoms would be so abridged that speaking out on homosexuality would be impermissible under the laws of this country.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote