View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It's a race with a long history in Southern Oregon (Medford) and this will be my first time running it even though I grew up near that area. I've been training at about an 8min/mile pace and should be able to easily hold that throughout the race. I've never raced further than 6 miles and so I'm not at all sure how to pace this thing. I'm afraid if I drop too much below 8min/mile in the beginning I may have nothing left at the end. In short, I have little idea what kind of pace I can hold for 10 miles if I try and go fast.

So, my plan is to start at 8 min/mile and build slightly with each mile. For those of you who have raced this distance and longer is this a sound plan? I don't want to suffer from mile one and I'm looking for a negative split on the second half of this thing. Oh and by the way, I looked at last year's results to see where I'd finish in my age group if I just ran the comfortable 1 hour 20 minute pace I've trained at. The aswer? Dead last.
Don't ask me.

At my last half, I intended to go out in 7:15s and ended up doing 6:10s only to fall prey to injury.

My plans never work out, so don't ask me what to do.

However, from lots of good intentions, I notice the following. Keep the early miles with easy effort and gradually increase perceived effort as measured by your heart rate monitor. Speed is not as important as actual effort in a race. Although I frequently don't wear a monitor, I often will during a race to monitor my effort.