View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Kimbo is a joke. The guy has never fought anyone of any substance. James Thompson was knocked out in under 30 seconds in an MMA fight by Butterbean. Thompson had lost his last 3 fights in under 30 seconds. He has a glass chin and he took Kimbos best shots and still stayed on his feet. Thompson also has awful ground skills, if he was mediocre on the ground he finishes Kimbo.

The worst part about that was the ref, Thompson has side control, going for full mount and the ref stands him up? He was completely favoring Kimbo, Kimbo is all the EliteXC has. Even when Thompson had Kimbos arm pinned to the ground and he was dropping elbows, the ref kept saying "You need to work, do something." threatening to stand it up. Also the stoppage was premature.

In the fight between Smith and Lawler the EliteXC really screwed themselves, that had the chance to be a fight of the year candidate. Then you stop it because of a poke in the eye? This is what happens when you have a female ring doctor.

Also the whole production was a joke, Gary Shaw (the commissioner of the EliteXC) is a boxing promoter, he made it look like a WWE event. They showed the dancers more than the fighters, the commercials were ridiculous and half of America missed the Kimbo fight because they went over by a full hour. So if you had it tivoed you missed it.
I'm not a fan of Kimbo, or the hype that's associated with him. Did you see how gassed he was at the end of the fight? I thought they were going to have to bring the EMT's to revive his ass. Nice to see EliteXC protect their cash cow. Can you imagine what Big Nog would do to this guy?

Overall, I thought the card was ok. I agree with CJ, the production was a joke. Was it necessary to announce the fighters two seperate times? I did like Gus Johnson's play by play; give him time to get better acquainted with the nuances and he could be a good one.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote