View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
Having spent most of the summer in and around this area it is not unusual to see some crazy hunters. The other day I was driving down the Mtn Loop Hwy, about an hour away from Sauk where this happened and saw a group of 3 guys riding bikes down the middle of the road with their hunting rifles slung over their backs.

We had someone run, literally run, into one of our campground off the highway in Marblemount, less than 30 mins away from Sauk, aiming a loaded rifle into a populated campground because he thought that he would find a bear eating the campers food.

Who says Washington doesn't have republicans?
I know this is not unique to the Puget Sound, but in some ways embodies the thoughts in the thread on 'Redneck Stonehenge' - suburban and traditional rural life colliding.

As you know, one can drive 30 minutes in any direction from the suburbs of the Sound and run into national forests, monuments, or national parks. Around these wilderness areas are long entrenched rural communities, with their own outdoor culture – hunting, fishing, moto, snowmobiles, 4x4, etc. Add to these areas a very mobile urban outdoor community, traveling from the city with their distinct culture of hiking, backpacking, kayaking, and climbing. The result is a level of animosity on both sides around disagreements on the 'proper' use of the wilderness areas.

I realize I'm stereotyping the activities and attitudes of the two groups, but you can see the animosity that exists in threads like the one below from a local hiking forum - 50 pages of arguing over the shooting.

Seattle Granolas vs Eastern Slope hikers/hunters:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...r=asc&start=15

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...=asc&start=735
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote