View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You guys are all unnecessarily hostile. I took HFN at his word. This is the kind of thing that someone prone to sophomoric humor of a particularly unintelligent type would find funny. (See, e.g., T Blue's post.) Moreover, I was influenced by Levin's conclusion (that preceded my post by a long time) that he was being serious. I was also misled by HFN's avatar, which seemed to depict someone prone to idiotic sophomoric humor.

So I pointed out some salient subtleties that might be lost on someone prone to idiotic sophomoric humor. (See T Blue's post.) For example, that the woman was likely a victim of abuse by her husband, who was filming, and the son's experience must have been horrifying.

HFN, now chastened, responded that he was being "sarcastic," making fun of Levin. I still don't get the sarcasm. How is it possibly sarcastic to say it's "the greatest" story ever? Perhaps had he said this is a great family story from the great state of Oklahoma (still lame, yes) it would have sounded like sarcasm, but not what he said. It sounded, to an objective mind, like a lame attempt at Animal House humor.

If he was making fun of Levin, how so? If he was posting a photo-shopped Gorilla being sent to the guillotine, I would agree. But I've not seen Levin come out againt bestiality, not until this thread.

Why didn't he reveal the sarcastic intent until my more explicit condemnation. (If he was making fun of Levin's serious disposition this was a sick way to do it, like leaving a boiling rabbit on his stove.)

In any event, I didn't call bullshit on HFN's ex post fact explanation. Levin did. I said nothing. I just posted a poll to see what everyone else thought. And because it was SU's poll everyone has their back up, feeling sorry for HFN, who probably doesn't deserve it. You've treated me unfairly. (I'm not trying to be Waters, I said today he's irreplaceable.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote