View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So was Under the Banner of Heaven really about Krackhead and his desire to murder in the name of religion?
I actually kind of agree with this last observation of Waters'. But since Krakauer actually lived through the disaster on Everest he couldn't get away reporting the events and not accounting for his own participation.

Waters notes that Krakauer admits at least two people may have died because of his inaction or action. He is also introspective of the role that peresence of media may have played in causing the hyper-competitiveness between guides (guiding clims on Everest was big business by then) that led to their stupid and tragic risk-taking and decisions. Contrast this with Boukreev who was only defensive and took no responsiblity even though he was a guide and some people in his stewardship died as did his guiding partner fischer. I think Krakauer gets ethics and credibilty points for confessing having been a potential contributing fator to deaths.

On a somewhat different note, clearly from Banner we see that Karakauer has had it in for Mormons. I understand that when he was a kid he knew Mormons in Oregon and was left with a bad impression of them. Notice how people don't write about Mormons (pro or con) unless they have had a history with them?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote