View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I know this was a long time ago but I was curious what the lawyers on here thought about President Bush's failed appointment of Harriet Meyers to the Supreme Court. I'm obviously not qualified to comment on her qualifications, but to even a non-lawyer like me she did not seem to be remotely qualified compared to say, Roberts or Alito or a lot of other choices he had. What was Bush thinking? Was that mostly an attempt at rewarding a friend, or what? Or was she qualified and why?
Bush, I think, once again fell into the trap of thinking that he can do whatever he wants to do as president no matter what anyone else thinks about it.

I think he was looking to put someone on the Court with whom he was very familiar and comfortable. He has known Miers for a very long time and was confident in her abilities, to the point that he was blinded by her lack of obvious qualifications. He also doesn't care nearly as much as the base cares about Roe v. Wade, I think, so her positions on abortion didn't bother him in the least (or she expressed she would be a pro-choice judge and he believed her as a close friend).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote