View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I was the summer camp campsite champion

in arm wrestling.

We were bored yesterday and started arm wrestling. One of the boys in my troop is a 16yo wrestler and pretty husky and strong. The boys were impressed that I beat him. The only adult I arm wrestled was my assistant and I beat him.

So we had all kinds of matches and established a pecking order. Later, the 17yo from the sister troop arrived in camp. He is the Stake President's son and probaby the most gungho scout I have ever met. He has been an eagle for at least a couple of years, is the Order of the Arrow council head scout, still goes to summer camp (obviously). He's a little bit socially awkward (his 10 minute prayer on the cobbler last year comes to mind, as well as his obsession with ticks, and his loud remonstrations that he won't help the boys remove them if they are on their "privates."). Very smart. He's not particularly athletic, but he has done the mile swim a few times, and just plain dogged.

So he started arm wrestling the "contenders" and establishe himself as the #1 contender. So I wrestled him left-handed and beat him pretty handily. When he had rested a bit I wrestled him right-handed. This time I decided to screw around and draw it out.

So it went back and forth, me almost pinning him, him almost pinning me. All the boys were gathered round, and then were chanting/screaming his name, rooting for him to beat me. He yelled out "he moved his elbow!" "He his hand is down!" (It wasn't). I yelled out "get me a drink of water." Suddenly water appeared next to him, and not me! It went a full 10 minutes, I kid you not. Literally 10 minutes and then I finally put him out of his misery.

Here is the amazing part. Not a single boy figured out I was toying with him. 10 minute miraculous see-saw arm-wrestling. I guess I am a good actor.

He told me later "that was the best arm wrestling match I have ever been involved in." It was a fun time.

Now let me tell you, 10 minutes of arm wrestling, even if you are screwing around, against the best boy arm wrestler in the two troops is TIRING!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote