View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #113
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm unaware of the distinction, and in the end we're probably splitting hairs.

LDS believe they have "truth" - whether it's authority, doctrine, or a more complete knowledge of the plan of salvation. Fine. I'm not disputing that, and I personally might even believe most of that.

My point is that many LDS testimonies use words like "I know" or "I testify" while consciously avoiding facts. This is a paradox to me. I have no problem with people saying "I believe strongly" or "I felt God speak to me." I do have a problem with "I know for sure, but will refuse to acknowledge or incorporate any facts that contradict what I know."

I think I'm done here, so don't bother with "FU we're done."
I had the same kind of crisis of conscience when I was nineteen on my mission. I was very uncomfortable with the language that the Missionary training book was instructing me to use. So when I had an interview with my mission president, I said "I just can't do this, this isn't how I believe, and I can't teach how I don't believe." And he said, "Just do what you feel is right."

And then I was fine. I could use the words that I was comfortable with, I could approach it from my angle.

I had a wise mission president.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote