View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am partially the product of disrupted orthodoxy.

Disrupted by my primary and sunday school teachers in a university-populated ward.

Kids will puzzle over statements that contradict dogma for many years, you have no idea.

Example: I had a substitute seminary teacher who said, "How do you know that the Lord won't give the priesthood to women?"
This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I want my children to have teachers like your substitute seminary teacher. But in order for that teacher to be effective, he needs to be a foil. So who is going to be the foil? A substitute teacher, or me? But do I want to be the foil to the orthodoxy, or do I want to be the source of the orthodoxy?

I envision being both: I'll teach the principles as I have faith in them, but act as a foil in questioning and seeking understanding.

How do you teach the gospel to your children? Primary orthodoxy? Or substitute seminary teacher?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote