Thread: Gonzaga
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Iowa was ok, not great this year. Typical 7 seed, I guess. They played a really tough schedule and had a few nice wins, but mostly losses against the very good teams. But the only team that beat them up worse than Gonzaga did was at Wisconsin. A 2 seed should beat a 7, but when they destroy them it usually indicates they're pretty legit. Other 2s like Kansas and Virginia are already out.

When Gonzaga is playing well as they are right now I think to beat them would take doing all the things you say. The problem is I think to do all of those in the same game is a pretty tall order for most college teams, even for those stilil left in the tournament. The challenge with playing Gonzaga is that they can win playing in many different ways. You can't just shut them down in one area because they'll beat you somehwere else. They can play fast or half court. They can focus on going inside or hurt you from the outside. The senior year Pangos is his best version yet. He used to be primarily a shooter who could go hot or cold. This year he turned primarily into a facilitator for the rest of the offense who isn't looking so much for his own shot, but who still nails the 3 whenever the defense forgets to keep him covered.

They're headed for the elite 8 because I can't see UCLA beating them. The Zags already blew them out this year at UCLA. I would take Gonzaga over Utah also, but it would likely be fairly competitive because Utah plays good defense and slows the game down. I would expect Duke to beat them, but it would also be competitive, IMO.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-23-2015 at 06:44 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote