View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Packer's talk is full of content for discussion. Compare it with the reputation of Jesus:
The world is full of churches with priests, youth pastors, and ministers of every sort exhorting young people to dress modestly. If you've spent even a little time in almost any church, and especially working with young people, you've heard that sort of thing.

And moreover, anyone who speaks as much as Boyd K. Packer does is going to say some things that are ill-considered. But encouragement to dress modestly and groom one's self does not have to turn into a "judge quickly and by appearances" sort of admonition.

I'm really more interested in your:

A. continued use of circular reasoning. What do you think you're accomplishing? You're convinced that your views are correct. You're your own biggest fan. We got that.

and

B. Your reliance on the ESV. Are you one of those who traded in your NIV? Are you a word-for-word translation guy? Do you give any credibility to the dynamic equivalence arguments? Do you use the Isaiah 7: 14 test?

When I want to get down to business on a particular verse or issue I pick up the NRSV, NASB, ESV, NIV, NJB, KJV (LDS edition), and NKJV, and put what I find in dialectic. Once in a blue moon I look something up in one of the historical versions like Tyndale's or Cromwell's. I also use a Greek interlinear and have made much use of the Anchor Bible Dictionary at the library.

For the record, here's how my other translations render Matt. 22:16 (since you've already cited the ESV I'll omit it):

NRSV: So they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, ‘Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality.

NASB: And they sent their disciples to Him, along with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that You are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and defer to no one; for You are not partial to any.

NIV: They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are.

NJB: And they sent their disciples to him, together with some Herodians, to say, 'Master, we know that you are an honest man and teach the way of God in all honesty, and that you are not afraid of anyone, because human rank means nothing to you.

KJV (I use the LDS edition): And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.

NKJV: And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-19-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote