View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I may not be that helpful. I can tell you what PhDs programs in finance or economics look for but I am assuming your thinking of a "Classics" or "Biblical Studies" program. Econ and Finance programs heavily weight the quantitative portion. Back when it had the analytical section that was a heavy weight as well because it was the best predictor of post PhD publishing success. I would guess that a "Classics" program would more heavily weight the Verbal score. I could be wrong though. If forced to guess, I think your guantitative score is probably quite high for a top Classics program and your verbal may be on the low side. However, your verbal may be good enough for a solid Classics program. I looked up an article on JSTOR and mean Verbal GRE scores for Classics was around 600 in the late 80s although it had fallen considerable from the 70s (see: "How the Mighty are Falling: in the Classical Journal, 1990). Also, I don't know how much Classics programs weight the GRE relative to letters of rec, courses taken, and grades.
That's about what I'm thinking. Thanks. I'll have to think about what I'll do.