View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

It speaks to my many previously voiced arguments against same sex marriage -from the Hoyacoug political string:

Quote:
I am not a lawyer but such legal maneuverings in the fight to legalize gay marriage do not remain in the neat little bubble you have constructed. The ramifications for legalizing same sex marriage are far reaching and will affect future efforts to legalize polygamy.

Precedence in such cases will in fact be relied upon as momentum to drive any argument in favor of any other type of government sanctioned marriage.

The ultimate question is at what point do the rights of one group usurp the rights of another group? This will become an issue of free speech … is it possible for a government to sanction gay marriage and at the same time sanction the freedom of religious worship to vocally condemn it? You are naïve if you believe that the fight is truly about the right to marry!
Ultimately two factions of our democratic society, who are diametrically opposed to one another, eventually will be pitted against one another in a court of law wherein homosexual rights will play a central role. The arguments will essentially be centered on free speech and religious expression, calling into question whether condemnation of homosexual practices from a pulpit may be considered hate speech.

I realize such sentiments are the foundation of a slippery slope argument … more often than not we find ourselves slipping and sliding down that slope only to greet ruin and our demise at the end!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote