View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
You wouldn't believe the things conservative Mormons have said to me for stating opinions on topics that I thought were fairly mainstream. Yes, I have had my right to hold the priesthood questioned (and have on this board multiple times as well). I have had people ask me how I can hold a temple recommend. I have had people suggest that Democrats cannot live with God after this life (and are deeply offended when I tell them James Faust was a strong Democrat and his family still is- he has toned down political activities for obvious reasons). I attended one of the most liberal schools in the nation for law school. I was a bit of a fish out of water there too, since 90% of Gtown attendees were far more liberal than I was. I also saw people attack those more conservative than I was. I will say, however, that in my experience, people at Gtown tended to be FAR more tolerant than most conservative Mormons. At Gtown, there was a general feeling of "let people hold whatever beliefs they have." In fact, in some ways that was annoying because it led to a high degree of moral equivalence, but it led to much better debate and dialogue than I ever saw at BYU (which led to far more learning than I ever saw at BYU).

I feel your pain, brother.

We political casualties need to stick together, eh?

Even if you are wrong.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote