Thread: girl scouts
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

My ward contains a mother who has started her own girl scout troop and included other LDS girls. She's a convert, and I don't know whether she was raised participating in girl scouts or not. I don't really know what they do (other than sell cookies), and it's the first I have known of such a troop in an LDS context. I also know another friend who sought out a non-LDS troop for her daughter because the older brother was invloved in scouts, and she thought Achievement Day girls was not even close to the same level of development and commitment to the girls.

And yes, Barb, I know Brownies are girl scouts. I guess I was under the impression that Brownies are to cub scouts what girl scouts are to boy scouts, but I could be wrong.

ER, I agree with you that it would be better for the church to ditch scouts altogether and do their own thing for boys and girls (I've posted about that here before).

And Mike, what are you talking about with abortions? Is that a criticism of girl scouts? I really don't know. But I guess if it's true it makes sense because if there is one thing groups that empower women like to do, it's underscore the importance of a woman's right to control her reproduction.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote