View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #42
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road
Default Parents know best

I think you can take a mixture of all these opinions/inputs. I guess that's truly what this whole board is for, but ultimately you are his parent and father. You and your wife know him better than anyone. It's tapping into those instincts and listening and observing that will help you come full circle. Which it sounds like you are doing. Your laid back approach just might have been the right thing and have saved a lot of needless worry, but now something (age, observations, even instinct) has made you feel like being more proactive. It sounds to me like you ARE paying great attention, and earlier urgency was unnecessary. And if something is amiss - don't beat yourself up over it, it's likely something you wouldn't have been able to prevent in any monumental way. You did say he imitates, shows emotion and gives and receives affection, that is leaps and bounds ahead of some disabled children. I agree with Cardiac a bit. I think therapists/doctors do tend to throw around titles and diagnostic opinions a little too much sometimes. The trouble with this is lots of times is that it is just that - an opinion. Autism, Asbergers, etc, are very hard to specifically diagnose and usually take years (and a lot of money). I am no expert, but I think the best thing I have learned about parenting so far is to trust myself more, and hone those special parenting instincts. I do believe they exist. If you think you should be more proactive now, then you probably should. Good for you.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar

Last edited by Gidget; 07-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote