Thread: Alma's Theology
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How would Christ know all things if He had never had a physical body prior to coming to earth?
Whether that is a prereq for knowing all things for Christ in particular or everyone in general I have no idea but it doesn't seem like that it is part of Alma's theology since Alma asserts that the "Spirit knoweth all things." Thus Alma doesn't seem to think that a physical body is a necessary condition for omniscience.

Now if you want to argue that the phrase "knoweth all things" is limited in some sense and that we should not impute theological precision then I am fine with that. I don't think the Book of Mormon is theologically precise. Maybe "all things" just refers to how, why, and when events or things happen and not a knowledge of "how to succor people" which such knowledge of succoring may require a physical body to learn. I view this as a possible reading; its what I mean by the "modal" stuff. I would have to look over the sermon more careful to see if I think such as reading can be dismissed.

Last edited by pelagius; 06-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote