View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am surprised that you actually believe that two consenting adults may only achieve deeply rewarding romantic love and intimacy through receipt of the social imprimatur of marriage. I am so surprised that I don't believe you actually think that.
The social imprimiture of marriage helps to legitimatize and destigmatize their lifestyle. I believe legalization of marriage would have that effect. I was only making the case why, in my view, the choice issue is outcome determinative on the question of whether they deserve to be legitimatized and destigmatized.

If you accept that being gay is not a choice and my premise of the importance of romantic love and assoiated sexual intimacy to human happiness and well being, and still oppose gay marriage, you are making a value judgment that their form of romantic love ought to be stigmatized, treated as illegitimate and inferior. Indeed, that they as people don't desrve the same status and dignity that you, a heterosexual, deserve.

Cardiac's point is that of course if your religion tells you being gay is a sin and people will be punished in the hereafter for it, you will want gays to be stigmatized and treated publically as inferior people. I understand that.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote