View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Natural Urge Apologetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Your comments are sensible, but you have to remember from whence we came. Prior to AIDS, gay bashing was almost the norm and quite acceptable within society.
I know you're not saying it was right back then, but to me it was absolutely *wrong* back then too. To me, it's very much like the kids I grew up with in church. There was a boundary shift in our ward and so this kid with a learning disability came into our quorum (I was like 15). The other kids in the quorum hated him and made fun of him constantly. Why? Because he was different and because mocking him helped them feel (a) better than someone and (b) socially more unified. I think the reason for animosity toward gays is based on the same things.

Quote:
It's something we can't understand. I can't see the point of it.
I don't see the point in most of what humanity does. Seriously, all of you (NS excluded) seem utterly irrational to me and the stuff y'all think and do just seems odd to me. But just because everyone else is different and completely inexplicable to me, doesn't mean it'd make sense to disparage humanity. (Um, any more than I already do.)

Quote:
However, I don't see anything positive to be gained by treating the gay aspect with respect.
I totally understand that -- I don't care to hear about gay exploits. OTOH, I really don't want to hear about anyone else's hetero exploits, either (let alone their autosexual explorations). So, I'm not sure that's a universally great differentiator. (Although gays tend to be far more open and insistent about sharing their sexuality than do straights, so I'm happy to ding 'em on that one.)

Quote:
It is intellectually repugnant to common sense, rejects the physical marital sacrament for which it is, and ignores the blessed differences communing betweeh the very delightfully different sexes.
I know what you're saying, but OTOH, someone who *is* SSAttracted doesn't inherently understand what it's like to be attracted to women. So, is it okay for them to disparage straights as a result?

Quote:
...can you imagine how a man would ever become sensitive to another's needs if he didn't have a woman?
You're speaking purely from a sexual POV? If so -- but I sort of don't understand why that's particularly relevant. From a purely humanist standpoint, who cares whether we understand how to satisfy each other's sexual needs? What does that matter in the grand scheme of the universe?

If we're not limiting this to sex, then I'm not sure I understand how heterosexuality is necessary in order to understand the (non-sexual) needs of others.

My real problem in watching the debate is that I don't understand why it's okay to "be mean" to people because they're different, and that seems to be what's happening (and it's not like that practice is the sole domain of the political/religious right). So long as a subset of humanity isn't getting in the way of my (or others') pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, I don't feel like it's any of my business to criticize what it is they're doing. Guy-on-guy sex does not have any impact on me whatsoever. I own a gun which other people find repulsive, but so long as they don't have to be exposed to that, it's completely wrong of them to care.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote