View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I agree, but the famous quote has lead people to other interpretations:

“I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; But I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me—he was murdered in cold blood.” (B. H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. [Salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1930], 2: 248 - 249.)

AS AA points out, I always thoguht this refernce was to the fact that he went to Carthage willingly, believing there he would be slaughtered. It does not mean at the point when the unjust murder was about to take place he lay quietly, but that before that time, and with it in his mind, perhaps in prophetic vision, he capitualted and willingly returned to Carthage. There was, I beleive, some in Nauvoo who were even willing to raise arms to protect him, and he could have escaped to at least postpone his incarceration, but instead he chose to submit. A lamb is led easily to the slaughter, but may kick a few times when the knife begins to cut.