View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have thought about this quite a few times. Especially when I caught wind of my last calling. But when I got in there and looked at our good bishop who dedicates so much of his time to service, I just couldn't look at him and claim that I didn't have the time. And of course, he gives me the old "I just can't think of anyone else who could do this..." guilt-trip-inducing line. Then again, I would probably resort to such tricks if I were in his shoes trying to staff a ward.

I once asked to be released from a leaderwship type calling when I entered what I now call my SU phase or, in lennon-esque terms, my lost decade. At the time, I didn't feel like I could honestly do what I needed to do as a leader. THe bishop reluctantly agreed and I sort of went off on a voyage of self-discovery and meditative consideration (this part is not a joke). Eventually I came back to the gopsel, but I decided not to tell anyone hoping to avoid the whole calling problem. I never wore suits. I sat in the back. I tried to aovid contact. The whole drill. So they made me cub master, and that just sort of snowballed. Not to be too cute about it, but the Lord will find you if he wants to.