View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
That's right, I forgot your wife is a speed demon. That is cool. I've become quite accustomed to getting my butt kicked by lots of ladies, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Speaking of speed, there's a guy I went to high school with that runs. I knew who he was back in high school, but we never even exchanged "hello's". I just didn't know him at all. Well, he ran his first marathon back in '05, finished in 3:48. He also decided to apply himself to it, and last year, he won the Pocatello Marathon in 2:51:16. I finished an hour after him. I would have never guessed the guy had that kind of talent. He never played sports with us, never ran cross country, nothing. Pretty amazing. I read his blog occasionally, and his new goal is a 2:35, and eventually qualify for the Olympic Trials.
That is some incredible improvement. I would never want to workt aht hard in order to get that fast.

Though watching the Xterra world championships the other day my wife and I had a discussion about whether or not I could compete as an age grouper. Her opinion was that if I got tougher mentally I could qualify and compete. I'd never win, but I would do ok. She even said I could be as good as some of the slower pros. I think she has an elevated opinion of my athletic abilities and her judgment is clouded by my stunningly good looks. Plus she is probably nuts. But if she really thinks these things I am having second thoughts about allowing her to help create my training plan. I may die.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote