View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #30
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Note to Marsupial:

I'm not questioning that some women prefer to devote full time to raising children, are better suited for it than their husbands, and are happy doing so. Nor am I passing judgment; it's a noble calling.

I am, however, attacking the proposition that there is a best way to raise a family, and that is full-time dad, and stay at home mom.
I agree that having a parent assume the position of full time caregiver is not the only right way to raise a family. There are many possibilities to make it work and every family situation is different. Many people can find flexible positions that keep them from logging in long hours at the office. For the record, I don't look down upon two income families.

I do wonder though how two career driven, workaholic parents can find the time necessary for their marriage and their children. The Cosby Show was a joke. They were a doctor and a lawyer with an inordinate amount of time to spend with their family. That's not real life. My point is that there is only 24 hours in a day and if both parents are spending 10 or more working and commuting there just isn't much left for anything else.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote