View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I've been reading through the posts on Obama's recent comments and I'm amazed at how many are actually buying the line that people are only upset because he's telling the truth. Seriously? Let's examine...

"It's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

So, essentially religion = guns/xenophobia = coping mechanism to deal with frustration. How is that not offensive? How is that the truth?

And then there's the word "cling"--each of us "clinging" to our little security blanket of religion because we just have no other way of dealing with life. The very word is offensive.

Yeah, this is really poor word choice on his part. But this quote is wrong on so many levels that I can't believe anyone (well, outside of Cali) is willing to defend this.
He did not say religion equals those things. He was listing the reactions of some people to difficult times and some of their coping mechanisms, of which religion is one. Do you really think religion is not a coping mechanism? How is that offensive? Do people not look to assign blame when times are tough? Are people not currently blaming illegal immigration for much of their woes?

I just don't see what people are up in arms about regarding his statement.

Obama has his warts but this statement is pretty benign.

Last edited by Flystripper; 04-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote