Thread: I dread the day
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #29
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
So you're talking about car camping - not backpacking? Or are you applying your assertion about comfort to backpacking as well? I'm not sure I would agree with your comfort assertion if applied to backpacking.

Here's what I don't get about car camping: People want to be comfortable while camping so they go to all this planning and effort to pack gear, set up big mattresses, buy camping trailers, generators, whatever. I just don't see how camping brings any joy that is worth that kind of effort. Having a cookout? Enjoying the great outdoors? You don't need to go camping to do those things. They could save a lot of time and effort by just having a cookout or enjoying the great outdoors on their back lawn.

"But, but - It's not the same!", Mr. Camper splutters. Fine. If I want to have a cookout I'll just drive up the canyon and have a cookout or dutch oven by the bubbling stream, and still sleep in my own bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. A better experience than anything Mr. Camper can provide. If I want to enjoy beautiful mountain scenery, I'll just take a day hike up the canyon to the lake, have a picnic, fish, frolic in the fresh mountain air, etc. and still sleep in my own comfortable bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. In other words, I can experience whatever joys people get from camping without all the hassle, fuss, campfire-stinky sleeping bags, dirt, bugs, equipment, etc.

I could possibly understand the appeal of backpacking, where you leave behind civilization, hike into the mountains with everything on your back, and don't run into any other people for a whole week. I can be convinced that backpacking offers experiences you can't achieve any other way. Car camping, however, just doesn't offer enough unique appeal to make up for its hassle.
The appeal of car camping is sitting around the fire until 2am shootin' the shit with your buddies.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote