Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why is it a matter of "deserving?" Do you "deserve" to have more economic opportunities because you were born into a white middle-class family (guessing here) in a stable economic environment with safe public schools? Does a black person who is born in the inner city into a home with a single parent and multiple kids "deserve" to only earn the minimum wage?

I think you give yourself far too much credit for your successes and disparage others far too much for their failures.

Sure, many people can overcome their circumstances to be economically successful. But to pretend that others who can't overcome their circumstances "deserve" no better and you do is sickening.

As King Benjamin once asked, "Are we not all beggars?" Sometimes I read Mosiah Chapters 3-5 and wonder if they aren't printed in anyone else's Book of Mormon.
No, I don't deserve anything in the sense that I was born into a white middle class family. (Good guess). I'm saying that if people aren't willing to do what they have to do - no matter what it is - deserve their life.

There is no excuse for anyone to not get a good education. It's all a matter of if one is willing to do it. While I had the opportunity to get an education because of baseball at Marist and took advantage of it by getting a degree, when I decided to go to mortuary school, I was rejected from my first two choices because of the color of my skin. Fine, I applied somewhere else and went there. No reason to whine about it.

My guess is that liberals love to have victims because without victims, there is no reason for liberals to exist.

King Benjamin was a wise man. We all are beggars in some sense; however, there comes a time when we need to rely on ourselves to make something of our life.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote