View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm no sexist. My lack of interest in college athletics outside the two revenue sports is evenly distributed across skiing, women's gymnasitics, whatever. I have to wonder; what is the pathology of people who care about the non-revenue sports? On Utefans there has been great concern expressed about transfers from the women's volleyball and women's basketball teams. I think that's clearly taking spectator sports too far.
The pathology of following non-revenue sports may be as follows. I never played competitively football or basketball, except at the youngest of ages. So although I watched with all my friends, I never dreamt of becoming a pro baller.

Because I was middle class kid with no talent, my parents introduced me to every middle class with no talent sport, boxing, wrestling, skiing, gynmastics, judo, running, swimming, golf, tennis. Did I forget any?

So, when I attended college I knew the middle class no talent kids, participated at a club level and continued following. I only follow rugby, a sport I participated in, track because I love Olympic and any other level of track, swimming again a sport of my participation, and volleyball because BYU shows some promise. I will also follow BYU golf, because I knew Keith Clearwater and watched BYU's NCAA championship in the 80s and baseball if it ever gets good, because it was a spring sport I could sit outside and watch harmlessly.