View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Those schools who want to remain exclusive will just raise prices now that they'd be getting a government subsidy to keep the riff raff out. Vouchers seem like a good idea on the surface to a free market proponent, but they aren't really because it's really just an expansion of government money into private or religious education, and with that will come mandates and other stuff tied into the funds which conservatives are supposed to be against.
Obviously what I am getting at is what happens to the "underclass" and the special needs kids?

By underclass I mean the children from historically poor and broken families with poor parental support.

Just as you see "white flight" with the current system, you will see the same happen in a universal voucher system as well--with many private schools opting out, or raising prices to put it out of reach.

The only private school in the area with the capability to help my son turned him down sight unseen.

Multiply that by thousands and thousands--millions actually.

There is no "magic solution" to our education problem. We need to do the hard work of getting parents more involved, of getting better teachers (and getting rid of bad teachers), holding people accountable.

The lady in DC who has proposed to the teachers union that teachers make 6-figure incomes IF they get rid of tenure/job security. Trying to attract a different kind of person to the teaching profession.

Pay me $150k to teach sophomore Honors English and coach JV basketball, and hell, maybe even I would think about it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote