View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #69
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I view his statement as meaning more than just the initial decision on whether or not to invade. His belief that Iraq is the wrong battle is one that has come into play several times in the US Senate, and his statements on Iraq, both before election to the Senate and afterwards, have helped shape the national debate on the topic. I can certainly see why it would be a tough issue for him (or for any elected leader). In fact, I would be highly disappointed if it wasn't.

I don't doubt the veracity of his statement, but I do realize that many statements are frequently politically calculated rather than true. I don't think this is one of them.
I'm happy to see you believe your own candidate.

The Obama campaign is very happy to point to his October 2, 2002 remarks opposing the war. Apparently it was before that time that he made his life's most "gut wrenching" decision. The timing isn't consistent with your view of "his statement as meaning more than just the initial decision on whether or not to invade." Obama was pretty clear in his answer. This all happened before he was a national politician, before he even had any jurisdiction over national policy. That he has repeated his decision after gaining a national platform is irrelevant in the context of "his most gut wrenching decision."

Or are you suggesting that he waivered in his conviction since becoming a U.S. Senator, took another look and then came back to his original decision? Is that the gut-wrenching decision we are talking about? Has he not been so steadfast in his judgement? If so, that would be interestinng to explore.

Obama's campaign has been pretty consistent on when and where he has stood on the war. It all goes back to October 2, 2002 and before.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote