Thread: Halibut Recipes
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
This is great for any good filet of whiting. Get one of those straw Asian steamers. Put a plate in the bottom of it, lay the fish filet on the plate inside the steamer, and put the whole apparatus in a wide flat pan of boiling water. Cover the steamer and steam the fillet until the meat flakes off. Meanwhile, slice up several cloves of garlic thin as you can get them (the more cloves the better, there's no limit), and start a fry pan with a veneer of a blend of canola or vegetable oil and sesame oil heating. When the oil mixture is just starting to bubble french fry the galic; you can also add grated ginger and sesame seeds, but be careful not to burn anything. Take the steamed fish filet and put it on a fresh plate; it will expel some fish broth and you should leave the fillet swimming in the puddle of broth. Now immediately pour the entire hot oil/garlic mixture over the top of the filet, add some dashes of soy sauce, and garnish on top with shredded green onions. Serve with steamed rice.
Sounds great! Now I just need to track down one of those straw Asian steamers. There are several cooking stores around town I can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
This is the only dish I know if that if executed correctly can be prepared on an ordinary stove in a regular house and match the best such dishes in a Chinese restaurant. And it's very easy to pull off. Easier than it sounds. Try it sometime with Black Cod or Chilean Sea Bass, in my view both superior to Halibut.
Could be, but I happen to have a freezer full of halibut (and salmon).