View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
VA and NJ exit polls showed support for Obama and health care reform. Those races were expressly local, certainly not national. There have been three "national" races by definition- CA House, NY House and MA Senate. Dems went 2-1 in those three. As far as relevance to health care goes, none of them were decided because of health care or Obama (other than arguably CA House, but it was going pro-Dem anyways).
By your definition, there have actually been six "national" elections since 2009, not three, and Dems were victors in almost all of them. So, if you want to pretend that matters, go ahead and say you're 5-1. It's a totally irrelevant statistic without studying what drove each of those elections.

I think there's strong evidence that the 4 races I mentioned were deeply influenced by Obama's policies in general, and health care in particular. And Dems lost all but one.

That's why the momentum is where it is. That's why Pelosi can't get her votes.

Quote:
Of course, you also had Specter switch parties based on his feedback in PA.
Specter made a stunning miscalculation. I guarantee you he wishes he had that one back, though he'll never say it in public.

Quote:
Abandoning health care would be a collosal mistake, particularly if it is based on what people incorrectly think was being sent as a message. Which is why they won't abandon it.
Dem's won't abandon the words "health care reform" but they are almost certain to abandon this wretched bill.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote