Thread: SC short list
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
No doubt you'll hate any nominee he puts up, Arch, so I think it's okay for you to tune out till the fight starts up. I've seen a bit of the "Harriet Miers" argument, which may or may not be true. Doesn't even matter unless she's the nominee.

Don't you think the Repubs are going to fight tooth and nail pretty much regardless of who the nominee is?
I believe the Republicans are incompetent, and will be unsuccessful in blocking his nominees. Will they make a bit of a dog and pony show hoping to satisfy their constituency? Probably.

But truthfully I'm not even certain what my judicial philosophy is right now. I liked textualism quite a bit while I was in law school. And Scalia was young, bright and articulate. Now he seems quite arrogant and willing to deviate from the position when it suits his fancy.

I dislike that we no longer have anybody committed to civil liberties. And I'm not talking about gay rights. If those are the only civil liberties that matter to anybody then they are missing the point. I'm talking rights of the citizen accused.

And since I've stopped following the Supreme Court I don't know what it's culture is. Is it still relevant? It almost seems as the great issues have been decided and the Court is no longer important or relevant. Great minds no longer populate it, as great minds are out in private practice making millions and no serve the public. That's my impression.

Other than pigeon-holing people, "Are you in favor of abortion, or do you want gay marriage", which issues bore me, what matters any more? In some respects, the Court has run its course and outlived its usefulness. There is no greatness there any longer.