View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
So you're saying Yasso is a much more accurate predictor of marathon times for those people actually interested in their finish times? Yasso's 800s predict a 3:15-3:30 finish time for me, as compared to a 3:45-4:00 by the Galloway method. My goal, even though it is still 4 months away, is 3:30.

Like yourself, my wife tried the Galloway method when she was getting ready for her first marathon. She got bored with it and went with a different program after a month or two. I think there is some value in Galloways training, mainly for extreme novices or perhaps for someone prone to injury, but its just not for me.
Well, I think the consensus would be that Yasso would be more accurate, yes. But at the same time, I'm very uncomfortable using 800 meters as a predictor for 26.2 miles. I'm just saying that amongst serious road racers, Yasso's reputation is light years above Galloway's, and his advice would be taken more seriously.

For another opinion, you can plug your 800 time into the McMillan running calculator and see what it gives you.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmil...calculator.htm
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote