View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.
Yeah, that was pretty convoluted logic. But Powell endorses Obama, so all is forgiven and he is a stellar example of national service. Looking back, I see Powell as one of the biggest losers from the war. I remember thinking that if someone like him was convinced of and argued for the presence of WMD, then there must be WMD. It was either extremely poor judgement or he just jumped on board and added credibility to flimsy evidence. What a strange ending to a storied career. Given his past performance, why would we want him as Sec of State again?

I really don't know how big a "get" this is at this point. It's as if Powell waited for things to break and jumped on board the leading car. I guess Obama wasn't that inspiring one month ago when there was some doubt.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote