View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #27
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I just read the wiki bio of Jesse Ventura:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura

Wow. UtahDan may want to rethink his hypothesis on governors.
No, I think I'll stick with it. Ventura is not a dumb guy. You just don't raise the money and get the people behind you that you need to if you are. Madonna is a good analogy. I don't want her to govern my state, and she has made political statements that I find silly, but this woman is a genius. She is a muti-national conglomerate, and it isn't because she is the best singer, dance or prettiest woman.

There are all kinds of smarts. Ventura, however much of a buffoon he may be, is not successful for no reason. He didn't Forrest Gump his way through life, none of these people do. Of course that doesn't mean I want to elect any of them.

I understand the point you made above that you think the author is suggesting that intellect is not the most important attribute to Republicans as opposed to saying that it is unimportant to them and/or they shun it. I think that is a mighty fine hair to split. Parties almost never put forward the smartest guy/gal they have. There are always other factors, such as charisma, good looks, name recognitions (Bush, Clinton, Kennedy), connections, experience that get factored in along with intellect. When you suggest that one party has intellect at the bottom of the list on a consistent basis and that right at the top of the list are "common" attributes...again I just don't think that is a perspective that is persuasive or deserving of much weight.