View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #107
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Ironically, a little more research would shed some more light on this topic. The DOM bio is a great start, but you most definitely fudging on the facts when you say that there was "pleading by many prophets over several decades".

Such research would lead you to discover that the church came very close recently to issuing a formal apology. You may also discover that top church leaders are much less likely (if ever) to say ("God must have had his reasons"). Now we are getting quotes like this:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...232679,00.html

Notice the conspicuous absence of "We don't know why God did it".

And yet Tex sits around waiting for a revelation from God that would overturn the folklore.
Perhaps "pleading" is too strong a word. The DOM book makes it clear that McKay did ask, while also noting that both Grant and Lee felt that a revelation was required to change it (as opposed to simple fiat).

But I don't want to wade too far back into the blacks/priesthood tall grass. We've been over this territory a thousand times already and it's redundant.

If we could return to the original topic ... I'd rather to stick with the ban as just an example of broader concept: that understanding the whereto's and the whyfor's is unnecessary for a strong testimony. Or further, that spending disproportionate focus on those things (in the noble name of "inoculation") can actually weaken faith.

Your thesis here, if I understand it correctly (I'm trying to be fair here), is that more scholarship, more information, more research can only be a good thing. Beyond that, you believe it is inevitable anyway, due to the speedy methods of disseminating knowledge these days. Thus, the church should not only accommodate, but facilitate.

My point is and has always been that such is fine for those who want it. But in the grand scheme of faith and testimony, it plays a near insignificant role (or ought to). A man's spiritual progression simply should not have any foundation on the details behind the priesthood ban, or any other controversial problem in scripture or church history. And I don't blame the church, nor do I think others should, for putting (relatively) minimal effort in facilitating it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote