Thread: Idiots
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree with Mike and disagree with Seattle. Hate crimes seem of questionable validity and they are mostly political expressions, rather than practical adjudications of law.
I agree with you as I noted in my amendment ot my post, on a broad policy level. But treating them the same as everyone else may mean treating their crime as a hate crime. I knew a successful lawyer who lost some friends in the World Trade Center on 9/11 (he worked at Brown and Wood and with an investment banking form on the 100+ level). That night he got way drunk, drove to the mosque by his house, tramped in without taking off his shoes, and then shouted insults at the worshipers. He was charged with a federal hate crime, a felony. He may have copped a plea for less, but he was fired from his firm, etc. Last I heard he was selling life insurance.

These missionaries' act was ultimately an expression of hatred. It wasn't just vandalism. If hate crimes are on the books and people are being prosecuted for them, the prosecutor should treat these missionaries no different.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote