Thread: Crawdads
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
So I'm thinking of trying to catch some crawdads at Strawberry. Any tips on how to prepare? Cleaning, boiling, recipes, etc.
If you have running water in your RV, to clean them you need to put the live crawdads in a bucket and start running cold water over them. When the bucket is about half full or so, dump some salt into it and fill the bucket with water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or so and the crawdads will purge themselves. Clean out the garbage in the bucket then repeat the entire process. 2 or 3 times usually works to purge them completely.

To cook them, it's pretty much like boiling lobsters. Add salt, any other seasoning you want (my dad likes bay leaves), some washed red potatoes (not peeled) and a few cans of corn to the water and bring it to a rolling boil, then dump the crawdads into the water and when the water starts boiling again, let them cook for about 12 minutes or until they are bright red. Drain the crawdads, taters and corn and enjoy. It just like eating a lobster too. Just crack it open and eat the meat. If you didn't get enough to eat, cook more.

Make sure the crawdads are alive when you start to cook them because they are poisonous if they're dead when you cook them. You'll get really sick. So keep a look out as you are purging the crawdads. If they have a strait tail or aren't moving, get rid of it.

One last thing, be sure to cook about 12-15 pounds of them at a time. Otherwise, there really won't be enough to eat.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 08-27-2008 at 02:14 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote