View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 AM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
i'd like to know how to buy raw tuna, salmon, etc. just to eat good, cheap sashimi at home. is that possible? the mystique means nothing to me.
Yes - it's possible. If you're in Salt Lake you want to go to Aquarius fish market. It's downtown next to Tony Caputos. Many of the sushi restaurants in town buy from them. They open at 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. and are usually picked clean by 1:00 p.m. You can call earlier in the morning and they'll tell you what is coming in that day.

They have yellowtail tuna which isn't too expensive. 90% of tuna in sushi/sashimi is yellowtail. Occasionally they have bluefin but the minimum order is 2kg so you're looking at around $100 for an order of bluefin. They have atlantic farm-raised salmon which you don't need to freeze before using it raw and they have wild Alaskan salmon which you will need to freeze before using it raw.

According to my sushi teacher, it's better to buy crab (such as Alaskan King crab) frozen - they freeze it directly at the processing plant. The crab legs you see sitting on ice at the supermarket are probably best left untouched - you don't know how long it's been unfrozen and sitting on ice. Same with shrimp - they're best bought frozen.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote