View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #42
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Oh brother. Wanting secure borders and an immigration policy has nothing to do with race. The open borders crowd, and people like you are the ones that always play the race card. There's nothing racist about demanding the federal government to fulfill their constitutional duty of controlling our nation's borders.
Historically, immigration discourse is filled with racism. This is a fact, and one that I have studied in the context of the immigrants who came to this country in the 1920s and 1930s. Your ignorance of history does not constitute an argument, and does not change the context of immigration discourse.

Also, from whence the accusation that I am in the "open borders crowd?"

I hope the borders are secure in the short term, but in the long term the nation state appears to be in decline as a form of governance. Huge masses of people live as refugees. Nationalism is giving way to localism. Metanarratives splinter into fragments. The citizen declines while the nomad consumer rises.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote