View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
As a US citizen I'm not supposed to look at it from a US perspective?

Africa has so many problems, many of which are plain unfixable, why should we invest money in that if we can even fix our own problems?

I'm not trying to be inhumane, just pragmatic. Our funds are by definition limited.
I'm not saying it is right, but I tend to look at some of these things the same way. We all understand how Aids is spread and we all know the solution to the problem. Yes, the Aids epidemic in Africa is horrible, but how much money do you throw at a people who have the solution in hand and don't use it.

On the other hand, cancer often attacks "innocent" victims. And, while it may not kill anywhere near as many people as AIDS, it kills far more people in the US.

I feel blessed every time I watch the news. I have no idea why God put me in the rural west, but I'm safe and happy here while others are being shot at, starvig or getting sick.

I want to say we should throw all available support at ending the Aids epidemic in Africa but when do you consider it a lost cause? How far in the hole do you go to bail out a people who aren't helping themselves?
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote