View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #42
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I think very few people would agree that a season ticket holder is a member of the Booster club are boosters of the program. Even by the definitions you just posted above. It's not clear at all about that in fact.

The 95 bucks I spent on season tickets last year makes me a booster?

I spent 15 bucks to go to one of the basketball games this year....does that make me a booster. I went to several bball games this year for free via tickets from vendors at my brothers work.

Does Joe Blow who out of the blue one night is bored, has nothing to do,,,decides...heck...I want to go to the volleyball and spends his 5 bucks...is he a booster to?

Neither Talo or Brandon are members of the CougarClub,,,in fact it's been made clear to them in their meetings with BYU Admin and the AD that they are not to be in any, way, shape or form.

I'm not a CougarClub member (Cause I think the CC Sucks..but that's a topic for another day).....and don't consider myself a booster.

I could have any player I wanted over to my house for dinner,,,that doesn't make me a booster or a violater of recruiting rules.

By the way, thanks for the posting those rules. Kudos to you.
Buying a few tickets here and there will not make you a booster. Having season tickets a lot of schools consider this a booster.

From the Texas compliance department.

"The NCAA definition of 'a representative of the University’s athletics interests' is very broad and encompasses many — if not all — of the people who are regular attendees at our sports events. If you fall into this category, there are a number of activities regarding contact with student-athletes and recruits that could put the University at risk for NCAA sanctions."

Virginia Tech's compliance department claims that anyone who is alumni or attended Virginia Tech is a booster. In short if you take a class at Va. Tech they consider you a booster.

This is a very unsettled issue, and it is not limited to just people who are members of the Cougar Club. The reason it is not limited to just those people is because you could easily subvert the rules by not joining the booster organization.

Another thing to keep in mind is by NCAA bylaws once you become a booster you retain that status for life. If you donate to a booster organization one time, you are a booster for that school for the rest of your life.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote