View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Male student single enters BYU. Meets a man, they date, and get married. They do not have pre-marital sex. Perhaps they don't even engage in kissing and hand-holding. The point is that they did not violate the BYU honor code up until they got married. Now he is expelled.

He sues BYU. BYU loses the lawsuit.

Now what happens? Does the church say ok, we have to change, no choice?

Or does the church close BYU? Do they divest itself of BYU, and BYU becomes it's own independent private non-profit university?

This is coming.
Don't know. Maybe something good comes of it. We no longer practice polygamy. Who knows. I think something like this is a few more years down the road than maybe you do, but who knows. Another option is the church continues to operate BYU but just changes the HC to a simple statement of principles we believe in and leaves individual ecclesiastical issues to the bishops. The current version and enforcement mechanisms of the HC have not always been at BYU. They date back to a reactionary president in the 60s -- Pres Wilkinson. It was a reaction to the social upheaval and hippie culture at other campuses. I could see them making this kind of change hopefully sooner rather than later. It may take the next prophet to do it though.

One big reason I don't think the church would want to give away BYU to someone else is because they really wouldn't want it to become crazy expensive overnight and suddenly become a private school that still carries the aura of being the "LDS" school that only spoiled rich brats can afford to attend. It would be a heck of a deal to pull off for any group taking it over anyway. There is a reason most private schools are many times smaller than BYU.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-11-2016 at 03:40 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote