View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Anecdotal evidence is always so powerful.

The US has the highest percentage of charitable giving and the least progressive tax structure of all industrialized countries. The result? The most skewed wealth distribution.

You tell me which works better.

It's not a simple black-and-white "government sucks" answer, despite your attempts to make it so. There are areas where the government is much more efficient, others where it is less so. Sometimes you need the infrastructure that government provides.
I don't think it would be that difficult to compare the effectiveness of private charity against gov't charity and find private coming out on top. There's probably one out there but I'm both too lazy and too busy to go find it.

The point is, I don't need the Obamessiah to legislate my neighborliness. I can do it on my own, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
My point is that the "leave charity to private organizations" folks often are just using this argument as an excuse to keep more of their money. The recent case in point is their use of their recent tax rebate checks. Republicans got what they wanted--more money in their pockets. What did they do with it? Spend it. I don't know of anyone who gave it to charity.
What was that about anecdotal evidence again?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote